For a video reference, check out: How to Import Data into Affinity (Video)
Checklist before your import
- Please make sure the very first row of the CSV (UTF-8) file are your column headers:
- Please remove any duplicates in your CSV file as this would potentially cause confusion or data integrity issues*.
- Note: If duplicates do exist, for the options of append and overwrite - we will only choose the first entry of the duplicate(s), and import that data into Affinity.
- To ensure a "clean" import:
- Make sure that data in columns match what the header is. For example, an Email column should host emails and only email addresses. While the Amount column should only have numbers.
- When importing into an Opportunity type list, the Opportunity names should be unique - as duplicate names will not be imported.
- If a column is completely empty, please remove before importing.
- Please make sure every column has a unique header.
- To increase accuracy during the import mapping process, we would highly recommend that you map to the organization URLs (for organization lists) or contacts' email addresses (for people lists).
Beginning the import
- Click into the list you plan to import into. This example will be an organization-type list.
- Click List options on the top-right corner.
- Click Import data.
- Drag-and-drop or browse for a CSV file.
- Now, select one of the following import options:
- Overwrite existing values with my new data: This will overwrite fields in Affinity with the ones you import from your CSV file. This includes fields that have no data (blank). If the imported CSV has no data (blank) in a particular field, it will re-write any data that is currently in Affinity with a blank.
- Append my new data to existing values: This will append (or add to) a field if it is a multi-value field. If it is a single value field, we will not import the data for that cell.
- Create duplicate entries: This will create a new entry for every imported row.
- Skip these records: This will skip any rows from your CSV file that already exist on the list. For example, if an entity exists on both the list and the imported CSV file, Affinity will skip importing the duplicate entry and its associated data.
- After uploading the CSV and selecting Append my new data to existing values, click Next.
- Important: Map the "Name" column from the CSV file to the "Name" of the organization in Affinity.
- Important: Map the "Organization URL" column from the CSV file to the Organization's Domain in Affinity (highly recommended since this ensures maximum accuracy).
- Now that we have determined which specific organizations to import data into, we will map our remaining fields. Affinity will do its best to auto-associate the columns in your CSV file to the columns in Affinity. In our example below, you'll notice that three of the four fields are auto-mapped. However, CEO is not.
- You can also remove any columns from your CSV that you don't want to upload. Simply click on the Trash icon, then click Delete.
- Once you're done - click Import!
If you have any questions - please don't hesitate to reach out to email@example.com.
Want to view your data import history? See Viewing your data import history