This step-by-step walkthrough will help you set up an integration to:
- Send an email that has a company and a note to a designated email address
- Add a note to that company
Note: This Zap requires emails to be sent in a specific way for Zapier to be able to identify contacts. Based on the format of this Zap, the company's URL should be the first line of the email body, then followed by a new line that says "Body: " with the notes you wish to enter afterwards.
Before starting, two things must be done:
- Send a sample e-mail with a company and notes in the format required to your email address. This will be later used by Zapier to test out the integration
- Click here to accept your invite to use Affinity’s integration. Sign in, and then navigate to the home page and click MAKE A ZAP! at the top to get started!
Listen for whenever a new email is created.
- Choose a Trigger app by going under “Search hundreds of apps…”, type in and click Gmail (or whichever email that you want to use)
- Click New Email, then Save + Continue
- Click Connect an Account and connect your Gmail account. Then, select it and press Save + Continue
- Select which Mailbox the emails will be sent to, and press Continue
- Click Fetch & Continue to verify everything is working, then click Continue again
- Make sure that the notification says that the test is successful.
Preprocess the email body
- Under “Search hundreds of apps…”, type in and click Formatter
- Press Text
- Choose the options so that they look like the picture below:
- Press Continue, and make sure that you get a "Test Successful!" notification. Press Add a Step
- This third step will also be Formatter and Text. Select the options so that they look like the picture below. This step will tell Zapier to retrieve the notes from the body
- This fourth step will also be Formatter and Text. Select the options so that they look like the picture below. Note: make sure to put in a period in the Separator field! This step will give us the name of the company
We are halfway through! Next, we will take the information we obtained from the previous steps and insert them into Affinity
Add a note to that Contact
- Under “Search hundreds of apps…”, type in and click Affinity (2.3.3) as you've done before
- This time, press on Create a Note
- Select your Affinity account that you connected earlier, and then press Continue
- In the Organization field, type in "custom value" and choose Use a Custom Value (advanced)
- A new field called "Custom Value for Organization ID" will show up. Scroll down and find the Organization ID as we did previously
- Under the Content field, press on the Search button, and choose the notes you retrieved from the third step
- Press Continue, then Create & Continue, and make sure that you get a "Test Successful!" notification.
- You're done! If everything went right, the note should be attached to the contact