Before Importing Your Data
- Please make sure that there is only one top row of column labels in your spreadsheet.
- Separate cells that contain multiple contact names and titles. There can be multiple e-mails in a cell associated with a person, but they must be separated by commas.
- Once you have your data in CSV form, take some time and try to remove duplicates up front. While Affinity does deduplicate entities automatically in many cases, cleaner source data will make the process quicker. Here’s a quick Excel guide for finding duplicate values.
- To ensure clean data:
- Check to make sure all data in columns are of the same type (for ex: A field for Contact Name should only contain first and last name at most. If you have entries that do not have the same type, like emails, they will not be imported).
- For a list of Opportunities make sure that each opportunity has a unique name (i.e. instead of two separate opportunities with the same company name, instead do Company Name Series A and Company Name Series B.) This will prevent duplicates from being created.
- We enrich all your company contacts with information from Crunchbase by associating a company contact with Crunchbase’s data. If possible, please include the right URL of a company in the CSV to ensure accurate associations.
Once you made sure that your data follows the formatting requirements, you can now start importing data into your list!
- Click on the list you want to import data into
- Click on the ellipsis on the right side of the page. In the drop down list choose Import button.
- In the pop-up, press on Select File. Navigate to the file you want, and press Open
- Once the file is uploaded, press Next
Affinity allows you to create special columns - called Affinity Fields - to help you dynamically sort and filter your data quickly. In this section, you will assign columns from your spreadsheet to these Affinity Fields. If you'd like to learn how to make Affinity Fields and take advantage of their unique features press here.
When mapping columns, it's important to note that the columns' types must match the type of information being imported. For example, a people column will require a max of two words and will give an error if there isn't.
Our algorithms will try to identify a mapping between the columns in the file you'd like to upload and existing fields in Affinity. Some fields, however, aren't easily identifiable and will need your specific guidance
- For the remaining columns, you can manually assign to existing fields or create new custom fields
- If you'd like to delete a column, press on the name of the column and press Delete Column
- Once you've assigned Affinity Fields to all the columns you want to import, press the Review button
- Double check to make sure that your columns are correctly specified
- Press Import
Notes about importing
- If you have a website URL column, it will be removed and put under the names on the organizations. Don't worry if you don't see this column in the Review stage. That's it! Depending on the number of rows in your spreadsheet, it'll take 1-5 hours to import your data. You'll be notified through email once we've finished processing your data.